Translator Plus represents the next generation of internationalization development tools from Prodomus. It consists of a set of mostly source code class libraries and utility components which may be purchased individually or in sets.
Class libraries are designed work with both ABC and Clarion Chain applications.
The classes extend the Translator Class built into the ABC chain to include
many more necessary features and time saving utilities. One of the most
important of these utilities is the Source Manager which can extract all
strings to be translated from source code and convert the source string
files into various formats including the built-in ABC translator class
formats and Translator Plus default types.
It includes methods for modifying string ENTRY controls at run time to handle Chinese, Japanese, and other languages using double-byte characters and changing all window and report font properties at run time.. Utilities are also designed to handle these character sets. Also available for all purchasers in a Translation Dictionary containing basic multi-language translations. The Translation Assistant includes a translation dictionary synchronizer.
The Class Components consist of ABC compliant classes. All classes include source code except for the Picture Translation Class. These components can be implemented with a single global setup extension template that covers all classes.
A customization class has been added with this version of Translator Plus. It is installed with the TPStr class and is therefore available to all editions of Translator Plus. This class displays a list of properties for windows and reports that can then be edited with both Global and Procedure level changes. Main features are:
Editing window and control properties at run-time. By default, a list of properties is displayed using the CTRL+SHIFT+F7 when any window is open.
Reports may be edited from a pre-screen with a global column (check box) or by adding a control template to a report progress window with a pause button.
All changes are displayed immediately on any open window including mutjiple instances of the window being edited.
In the case of multi-language applications, languages may be changed at run-time and all open windows will be changed immediately without having to reopen the application.
Access to customization windows may be limited. This can include, for example, limits by security door and a global setup option specific to your program.
If the Picture Class is instantiated in the application, pictures will be automatically translated as shown above. These may be overwritten with an alternative global or local translation.
Because the Customization Class maintains a queue of all open windows, it also has two useful functions for posting events and notifications to other windows. This uses the Procedure Name as the first parameter, making it easy to post. The class may also be used for thread limiting. Other things may be added such as checking for Modal windows or closing all windows as might be required by certain procedures.
This tool is available for Clarion 8 and Clarion 9 only. It is compatible with both the ABC and CLARION legacy versions of Translator Plus.
Picture Translation Class
Use Windows Registry information to auto translate Clarion picture tokens. Includes more than 90 locales.
- Auto Translates currency, number, date, and time picture tokens according to specified locale identifier.
- Currency locale can be different from general locale.
- Supports multiple locales at the same time.
- Can be used with the String and Environment classes to translate pictures if not found in the translation file and set full and abbreviated month names for any of the available locales.
String Property Translation Class
Consolidate source and replacement properties into a single database file for easy translation and maintenance.
- Allows any property to be changed -- strings, icons, images, list headers and pictures, and more.
- Translates ErrorClass messages.
- Translates Toolbar Class messages and tips.
- Provides alternative (Hooked) MESSAGE, HALT, STOP, FILEDIALOG, FONTDIALOG, PRINTERDIALOG[A, and COLORDIALOG functions with translation built in. Note that the hooked message function is compatible with CapeSoft MessageBox.
- Provides methods for changing control font properties at run time.
- Very easy to implement.
- Translates list group headers and pictures missed by the CW Translator class
- Includes options for use of default or user defined files, drivers, variable file names, and owner attributes.
- String merge function to merge variables with text.
Use the string class and API functions to set Clarion’s International Environment variables -- Collating, Case, Message Buttons, Digraphs, AP/PM text, full and abbreviated Month Names, Character Set, and Error Messages..
Includes a method for setting and restoring the text of any individual message button text.
Provides extended character support utilizing API character functions to overcome limitations in the standard Clarion functions.
Include a simple Proper method (capitalization of the first letter in a word).
Better organize controls and properties by Type.
This class encapsulates the previous PD Translator in a new class library with added flexibility that allows users to group controls in different ways and to derive their own methods.
- Groups translations by control type and property to better handle variations in language syntax and facilitate translation.
- Uses PD Translator default organization: String, Text, Message, ToolTip, Menu, MenuItem, WinTitle, HelpItem, LboxFmt, Picture
- Can use the picture class to translate pictures.